Dental Crowns – Billerica, MA
Preventing Damage and Decay with Added Protection
Dental crowns are known as one of the safest and most effective restorative treatments available. For years, people have been protecting their damaged or decayed teeth with these customized prosthetics, which is why dentists continue to recommend it as a viable treatment option. At Billerica Family Dental, a dental crown can not only cover and protect a weakened tooth, but it can also seal and keep out any infection, as well as restore your bite and reduce the risk of infection. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and find out if a dental crown is the right method of treatment for you.
Why Choose Billerica Family Dental for Dental Crowns?
- Customized restorations based on your individual needs
- Treatment for all ages
- Patient comfort is a priority
What is a Dental Crown and How Do I Know if I Need a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is an artificial tooth that is customized to the size, shape, and color of your natural tooth, and it is used to cover a tooth that has been severely damaged or is decayed. They are placed over your natural tooth to serve as a protective barrier, preventing additional injury or further reinfection from occurring. All the while, they encourage the natural tooth to regain its strength.
Dental crowns can be made from various materials, but at Billerica Family Dental, we use a porcelain fused to metal system (PFM), EMAX, Lava and zirconia. A PFM crown creates a stronger bond than traditional porcelain, making it more durable because of its metal structure. Based on your individual needs, our dentists will determine which material and brand is right for you.
If you’re wondering whether or not you are a qualified candidate for a dental crown, here are a few quick ways to tell:
- You have a broken, cracked, or fractured tooth
- A dental filling is too large and has left your tooth weak
- You’ve had root canal therapy, or a dental implant placed
- You’re experiencing severe tooth decay that a filling cannot fix
What Are the Benefits to Crowns?
- Dental crowns can improve your tooth’s appearance, shape, alignment, and dental bite.
- They can strengthen your tooth while protecting it from further damage or infection.
- Crowns are customized to match your natural teeth, making it harder for anyone to tell a difference between your real and artificial teeth.
- They are durable and can withstand normal wear and tear.
Top Care Tips for Crowns
If you want to make sure your dental crown lasts as long as possible, you’ll want to make sure you’re taking proper care of it at home. In order to maintain a beautiful, healthy, longer-lasting smile, here are a few care tips for your dental crown:
- Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste. Make sure you are brushing for a full two minutes.
- Floss at least once a day, if not after every meal.
- Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash to wash out any left behind bacteria or food particles.
- Maintain your regular dental appointments every six months to ensure your dental crown is still healthy and in good shape.
- Avoid hard, crunchy foods (i.e. chips, nuts, crunchy vegetables), as they can damage your crown.
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I am Missing One or More Teeth I Want to Improve My Smile I Want a Straighter Smile I am Looking for a Dentist for My Child I am Worried About Bleeding Gums I am in Pain & Need Help View Our Services